Dog Bite Issues
Dogs are some of our most treasured animal companions. For many, they are considered members of the family. However, in the hands of the wrong owner, a dog can cause serious injuries to a person, and the injured party can file a lawsuit to recover compensation for their suffering. In California, strict liability laws make pet owners responsible for most injuries caused by their dogs. Simply put, a dog owner cannot contend that they did not know their dog posed a danger to others or that they did enough to prevent their dog from attacking or harming a person.
California’s Dog Bite Laws
Although California’s dog bite laws make it easier for dog bite injury victims to pursue compensation from the owner, there are still some limits.
An owner is generally liable if:
- The injured person was bitten by the dog; and
- The incident occurred in a public setting, or it happened in a private location where the victim was lawfully able to be, such as the dog owner’s property.
If you were bitten by a military or police dog while law enforcement officers were doing their job or defending someone, you generally cannot sue under this statute.
If You Were Bitten by a Dog
If a dog bit you, there are some steps you should take to protect your health and your potential personal injury claim.
After a dog bite injury, you should:
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible;
- Take pictures of your injuries and the location where the attack occurred;
- Obtain the contact information of the dog owner and anyone who may have witnessed the incident; and
- Write an account of the event, including the details leading up to the attack as well as the aftermath so as to avoid losing these pertinent details.
If you cannot get the owner’s information, you can reach out to Animal Control with a description of the dog.
Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Dog Bite Injury Attorney Today!
If you were bitten by a dog, the experienced personal injury team at Zavala Law, PC will fight on your behalf to hold the dog owner liable for your injuries. Backed by almost a decade of experience on the defense side, and a history of successful results, you can feel confident in our ability to obtain the most favorable result for your case.
Reach out to our law office today at 805-429-4292 to schedule a free initial consultation to learn more about your options and how we can help you.