Ventura Personal Injury Lawyer
Life happens, and sometimes accidents follow. When the accident is someone else’s fault, it’s only fair that they be required to pay for the damage they’ve caused. In fact, it would be unfair and unjust if they weren’t; if you’re being made to suffer because of someone else’s negligence, you shouldn’t be made to suffer further by shouldering the financial burden of medical bills, lost income, and the countless ways a personal injury can impact your life. Zavala Law is built for times like these. We go out of our way to make sure you are getting the care you need to recover from the accident to the greatest extent possible. We have the skills and experience needed to get a great result, and we have the compassion and dedication to make sure that you feel taken care of along the way.
Feel free to keep on reading if you want to learn more about personal injury law in California and how our law firm can help, but if you or a family member has been hurt in a car accident, slip and fall, or other accident in Ventura County, you can skip all that and just call us right away at 805-429-4292. You can talk directly with our lead attorney, Matt Zavala, who will advise you on your options and help you take the next steps. Don’t wait to get the compensation you need and deserve. Contact our experienced Ventura personal injury lawyer today.
- Amputation Injury
- Bicycle Accident
- Burn Injury
- Bus Accident
- Car Accident
- Casino Premises Liability
- Catastrophic Injury
- Construction Zone Accident
- Defective Products
- Distracted Driving Accident
- Dog Bite
- Drowsy Truck Driver Accident
- Drunk Driving Accident
- Elevator & Escalator Accident
- Fracture Injury
- Grocery Store Slip & Fall
- Head-On Collision
- Highway Crash
- Hit & Run Accident
- Hotel Premises Liability
- Motorcycle Accident
- Negligent Security
- Negligent Truck Maintenance Accident
- Pedestrian Accident
- Premises Liability
- Rear-End Collision
- Retail Store Slip & Fall
- Uber & Lyft Accident
- Rollover Accident
- Side-Impact Crash
- Slip & Fall
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Tractor-Trailer Jackknife Accident
- Train Accident
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Trip & Fall
- Truck Accident
- Uninsured Driver Accident
- Workplace Accident
- Wrongful Death
Overview of California Personal Injury Law
Below we want to tell you, very briefly, some of the main points you might want to know about pursuing a claim for compensation after a car accident, slip and fall, or other accident in Ventura County. We know that suffering a personal injury is painful, stressful and distressing; we offer the following in hopes that knowing what you can expect might help by letting you know some basic facts about your potential claim.
Types of Damages Recoverable in a Personal Injury Case
In the legal world, the compensation you receive from a negligent party for the harm they caused you is called “damages,” and you might hear this term thrown around by lawyers and insurance company adjusters. In California, injury victims can recover several types of damages from the responsible party. These include:
- Economic Damages: These are the tangible losses you’ve suffered, like medical bills and lost wages. This includes your immediate needs as well as future economic harm tied to the injury, including long-term medical care or if you are disabled from working at your old job or at all.
- Non-Economic Damages: These are for your pain, suffering, and emotional distress. The value of these damages is tied to the economic damages you suffered, the extent of your injury, and other factors specific to the harm done to you.
- Punitive Damages: These are less common and awarded to punish the wrongdoer in extreme cases. If the other party injured you through intentional, malicious, or especially reckless behavior, it might be proper to seek punitive damages to hold them fully accountable and maximize your recovery.
Elements of a Negligence Claim
Personal injury law is the law of torts, also known as the law of negligence. A tort is a legal wrong that can be remedied with financial compensation. Negligence means that someone acted wrongfully or failed to act with reasonable care for your safety, such as speeding or distracted driving or failing to mop up a spill at a store. As the injury victim seeking compensation, your job (our job) is to prove all the elements for a successful negligence claim. In a nutshell, we have to be able to prove:
- The defendant had a duty of care toward you.
- That duty was breached.
- You suffered injuries as a result.
- The defendant’s actions were the direct cause of your injuries.
Statute of Limitations
Timing is crucial in personal injury claims. You typically have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. If you miss that window, you won’t be able to hold the responsible party liable to you in court. Hopefully, we can settle your claim long before that deadline hits, but it’s important to know it’s there and brings a sense of urgency for both parties to resolve your case efficiently.
California follows the “pure comparative negligence” rule, meaning you can recover damages if you’re partially at fault, even if you are more at fault than the other party! However, your total recovery will be reduced by your percentage of fault. We work to maximize your claim by holding the other party fully accountable and pushing back when the insurance company tries to weasel out of accountability by blaming you for being negligent when you weren’t.
Why Zavala Law?
Matt Zavala, our lead attorney, practiced law as an insurance defense attorney for over a decade before dedicating his practice to representing injury victims exclusively. This background allows him to recognize insurance defense tactics, see the big picture and craft the most effective strategies for the best result. Plus, he’s an experienced mediator and courtroom litigator, so whether settling out of court or going to trial is your best option, Matt’s got you covered.
Our comprehensive Ventura personal injury law practice covers a wide range of injuries and accidents in Ventura County. Our expertise lies especially in the following areas:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents – Car crashes, motorcycle accidents, trucking collisions, bicycle and pedestrian accidents, Uber/Lyft crashes, and even bus and train accidents. From city streets to the PCH, from accidents caused by distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and even drivers without insurance, motor vehicle accidents are a primary area of focus at Zavala Law.
- Premises Liability Accidents – These include slip and falls, trip and falls, dog bites, swimming pool accidents, elevator and escalator accidents, and even assaults that occurred because of negligent security on the premises. From grocery stores and retail stores to hotels and casinos, we hold property owners accountable when they fail to provide a reasonably safe environment.
- Workplace accidents – California workers’ compensation benefits only go so far. If you were hurt at work because of a third party’s negligence, we’ll pursue a claim that gets you fully compensated for all your damages.
- Defective product injuries – We hold manufacturers strictly liable for putting products on the market that are dangerously unsafe because of the way they were designed, made or marketed. From baby furniture and household appliances to power tools and automobiles, you have a right to expect the products you buy have been adequately designed and tested for safety before they were put on the shelves.
- Catastrophic injuries – At Zavala Law, we take on cases of all sizes and severity, including catastrophic injuries like brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, burns or loss of limb. These injuries are more painful, more expensive, more traumatic and more permanent. We put in the time and effort to understand the full nature of the harm and the compensation you should receive.
- Wrongful death – When family members lose a loved one because of another’s negligence, we work to hold that negligent party fully accountable under California’s wrongful death law. We fight for justice for your beloved family member while working to see you are not financially burdened by their loss.
Contact Zavala Law Today
Remember, for us, it’s not just about winning cases—it’s about making sure you’re comfortable and cared for every step of the way. Personal service, accessibility, and a positive client experience aren’t just buzzwords at Zavala Law; they’re our core values. If you’ve suffered an injury in Ventura County, call Zavala Law at 805-429-4292 for a free consultation to discuss your needs and find out how we can help.