Request a Free Consultation If You Were Injured in a Railroad Accident
If you or a family member have been injured in a train accident, it is important to seek legal help right away. A Ventura train accident attorney can help navigate the claims process and provide resources to assist in the recovery process.
At Zavala Law, PC, we recognize that the hardships from a railroad collision encompass much more than just the physical injuries sustained in the accident. Often, train accidents result in disabling or even fatal injuries. People who survive a train accident generally have life-long medical needs and are unable to work. For families who have lost a loved one to a train accident, they are often left with many questions, significant medical debt and the loss of an income source.
We are here to help. Our Ventura train accident lawyer is knowledgeable in all aspects of the applicable law and can help you fight for the compensation you deserve.
Contact us today for a free consultation to see how we can help you. Dial (805) 665-3485 to get started.
Legal Representation for Victims of Amtrak and Metrolink Accidents
Types of train accident cases we accept:
- Derailment accidents
- Equipment malfunction accidents
- Multiple-vehicle accidents
- Passenger vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian accidents
Depending on the circumstances of the collision, you may be able to sue for:
- Conductor error
- Failure to report and/or fix defective crossing signals or crossing
- Inspection or maintenance failure / violation
- Mechanical failure
- Objects / debris on the tracks
- Railway negligence
Common injuries include but are not limited to:
- Head injuries. Train accidents can cause head injuries, such as concussions and skull fractures.
- Neck injuries. Neck injuries are also common in train accidents, including whiplash and strains/sprains;
- Back injuries. Back injuries are another common type of injury in train accidents. These injuries can include herniated disks, spinal cord damage, and paralysis.
- Chest injuries. Chest injuries, such as broken ribs and punctured lungs, are also common in train accidents.
- Burns. Burns are a common type of injury in train accidents, especially if the accident causes a fire or explosion.
- Amputations. Amputations can occur in train accidents if someone is struck by a moving train or if they are caught in between railroad cars.
- Death. Most train accidents involving pedestrians result in death.
We would be happy to sit down with you to review your accident and determine the best course of action moving forward.
Liability in Train Accidents
Train accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including negligence on the part of the train conductor or railroad company. If you or someone you love has been injured in a train accident, it is important to know what your options are for filing a claim.
Potentially liable parties in a train accident include:
- The train company itself, like Amtrak or Metrolink
- Train operator
- Railroad maintenance crew
- Railway owner or negligent employee
- Property owner
- Government agency
In most cases, the railroad company is liable for train accidents that occur on their property, including accidents that occur while the train is in motion or while it is stopped. This means that the railroad company may be responsible for compensating injured victims and their families. There are a few exceptions to this rule, such as if the victim was trespassing on railroad property when the accident occurred. But even trespassing isn’t a complete bar to recovery.
After a Train Accident
If you have been injured in a train accident, it is important to take the following steps as quickly as possible:
- Gather evidence from the accident scene. If possible, take photos of the scene and collect any evidence that may be helpful in your case.
- Seek medical attention right away. Train accidents can cause serious injuries, so it is important to seek medical help as soon as possible.
- Contact a Ventura train accident lawyer. Our lawyer can evaluate your case and help you file a claim to seek maximum compensation.
- Keep track of your medical expenses. Make sure to record all your medical expenses related to the accident, including doctor visits, medication, and therapy.
- Do not speak to the rail company or their insurance company. Let your attorney do that for you.
Insurance companies will likely try to settle with victims of train accidents as quickly as possible. Even if the settlement amount they present to you looks to be a large sum, it is likely much lower than what victims are actually owed in order to fully compensate them for their injuries and losses. Our Ventura train accident lawyer can help negotiate a settlement amount that accurately reflects the money owed to you for your losses.
At Zavala Law, PC, we have experience dealing with railroad companies and their insurance companies, and we know how to get victims the money they need for medical expenses, lost wages, and more.
Contact us today for a free consultation. Submit a form here or dial (805) 665-3485.
Areas of Practice Zavala Law, PC is a top law firm specializing in car accident and bicycle claims, as well as slips and falls. Additionally, our firm also litigates employment and civil claims, such as workplace treatment of employees. Whether you seek to take a personal injury claim or employment case to court in Ventura, Zavala Law, PC can guide you through the legal process and help you fight for the damages you deserve.
Experienced AttorneyOver a decade of experience working with individual clients and large corporations.
Easily AvailableCommitted to being available to every client whenever they need us most, including by phone, text, and email.
Personalized ServiceYour case will always receive the personalized care and attention of an experienced attorney - no matter the size.
Free ConsultationsFinding the right attorney can be tough, which is why we offer free consultations to walk you through your needs.